Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Kickshaw (Philippians 3:1-14)

Good morning ladies,

The word of the day is “kickshaw.”  One of my favorite chapters in the book of Philippians (my favrit NT book) is the third. It does not get a ton of play because of the chapter it precedes. But Paul said some pretty outrageous comments here. The following verse used an actual cuss word of his day, and the peeps had to be totally astonished to hear him say it. But, he needed to get his point across as to why he followed Christ and believed in the Gospel.

“What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ...” ~Phil. 3:8


The word "garbage" has been inserted here by English scholars to replace a more colorful word that we would use today.  I will let your imagination take you there for explanation.  My question is: what are the important things in your life… what do you value most?  My prayer is that you would take Paul's advice here, which is to realize everything in your life doesn't mean very much, and is pretty trifle in comparison to what Jesus has commanded to do in following him.  Take some time today and ask yourself what would be like to lose everything for the sake of your relationship with Jesus.  He did it for us, and asks us to do the same.

Praying for you,


MO

No comments:

Post a Comment