Friday, February 6, 2015

Tenebrific (John 1.1-10)

Good morning ladies,

The word of the day is “tenebrific.”  I remember one of the easiest ways that the Christian life was ever explained to me.  One of the guest pastors that spoke at youth group one time talked about the difference between following God and not following God.  He used an analogy of darkness and light.  Now, I think that we’ve all heard the following anecdote, but I really believe that it is appropriate for today’s passage.  Remember with me, if you will, the illustration that this pastor used.  He turned off all the lights in the room and talked about how darkness was tenebrific, causing certain emotions and us, like confusion, uncertainty, and the like.  But, then he took a match out and struck it against the box, instantly creating a way for us to see.  He showed that just a little bit of light could overcome darkness.  It was actually pretty amazing, and simple all at the same time.

“The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.” ~Jn 1:5


My question is: if you were to have to put a value on the way that you live your life, what percentage of your days have you chosen to live in the light?  Now, that is a pretty deep question and has all sorts of implications depending on how you understand it.  But I guess that’s what I’m going for.  My prayer is that you take the simplicity of understanding that Jesus is the light that has overcome the darkness in this world.  And, the more that we bring his message to others, we are part of sharing that light.  Used today to encourage someone and see Jesus shine his light through you.

Praying for you,


Mo

No comments:

Post a Comment